Not every electric shaver works great on a head. If you want something specifically to go bald with, you’re going to have to think about different things than the ones you’d think about when choosing a face shaver.
Things to Consider When You’re Shopping
You aren’t worried about beards or mustaches when it comes to a head shaver. You’ll want to make your decision based on a different set of criteria. Weighing the pros and cons will be a little different.
Corded or Cordless
Your head is round. You need to be able to get from front to back, and sometimes that’s difficult with a corded shaver. If you have an outlet near by the place you prefer to shave, you might not be worried about cords or cord lengths. Cordless shavers are better for travel, so if you need a shaver you can charge and take with you, that should come into play when you make your decision.
Do You Shave Your Own Head?
This like grip and motion are easier when you’re shaving someone else’s head. If you’re shaving your own head, a bulky handle design might get in your way. You’ll want something compact and ergonomic to make it easy to reach behind you. Newer designs of electric shaver feature smaller handles that fit within the palm of the hand quite easily. Choosing one of these will make your life a lot easier.
Is Versatility Important?
Do you want an electric head shaver that only does one job, or do you want to be able to do more with it? You can get the most for your money by selecting a multi-tool or kit that can be used for different things. It’s more budget friendly, and it will help you save space in your bathroom.
The Top 5 Best Electric Head Shavers
Head shavers come in a bunch of different styles and designs. Some of them even do more than just shave heads.
1. Wahl Professional 5 Star Series Finale Finishing Tool 8164
This is one of few electric shavers designed specifically to get down to bald. If you regularly shave your head, it’s worth buying a tool specifically designed to keep it that way. This is a compact unit designed for one purpose, and it serves that purpose very well.
- The small size makes this shaver easy to use. Since you’ll be holding it over your head, you’ll appreciate how light and easy to move it is.
- Because this electric shaver is designed specifically for head shaving, it’s made to get as close as close can get.
- The gold foil is hypoallergenic. You won’t need to worry about razor bumps or red spots if you have sensitive skin.
- This is somewhat expensive for an electric shaver that’s designed for one use, but you’re getting the highest quality available.
What Comes With It?: The foil guard, a plug in wall charger, a recharging stand, and a cleaning brush.
If all you need is a reliable head shaver, this is as good as it gets. There are no frills, and it’s not made to do a million different things. It was designed to shave as close as possible, and if closeness and smoothness are your main priorities, you aren’t going to be disappointed.
2. Braun Series 7 790cc Cordless Electric Foil Shaver
This is a great shaver overall. Braun 790cc uses revolutionary technology to give a close shave anywhere you choose to use it. It’s just as good on your head as it is on your face. If you need a razor that can do everything, look no further.
- This is a pivoting precision razor. It will be easy to get around your ears or over the curves on the back of your head.
- The cleaning and charging station included with this razor keeps things fresh and sanitary. If you’re prone to razor bumps, you’ll appreciate the fact that you’ll be getting a sanitary shave every time.
- You can use this for more than just your head – your investment is going a lot further.
- The setup is kind of pricey, but you’re getting a razor that can do anything.
What Comes With It?: A travel bag, charging cord, the cleaning station, sanitizing solution refill, and a cleaning brush.
This is the top pick for anyone who is looking to get the most for their money. If you want to be able to use one razor for everything, this is the best way to go. You can’t beat the added convenience the cleaning station provides, either. It keeps things simple to use.
3. Skull Shaver Butterfly Pro 5h
At first glance, this is a weird looking gadget. The shape is what makes it work so well. Rather than having a handle, this razor ends in a large plastic ball. That unique handle feature winds up becoming one of the biggest selling points of this electric head shaver.
- The handle of this razor fits circularly in the palm of your hand, which makes shaving your head as easy as shampooing it. It’s the same grip and motion as scrubbing your body – it feels intuitive and familiar.
- This razor gets 90 minutes of use on one charge, and only takes two and a half hours to charge fully. This has one of the best batteries out of any electric head shaver on the market.
- This razor can also be used anywhere on the body – if you have other tasks to tend to, you’ll appreciate it.
- This is a body shaver, but not a face shaver. The rotary heads and the shape of the shaver make it too large to handle beards.
What Comes With It?: The charger and the head cover. Other accessories are available, but they’re sold separately.
The ease of use here is absolutely unbeatable. This is an ingenious design, and you’re never going to find anything easier to shave your head with. If you have trouble reaching behind your head with a lengthy razor handle, this is the answer to every problem you’ve ever had with shaving.
4. Wahl Professional 5-Star Balding Clipper #8110
This is the same kind of clipper barbers use for balding. If you usually have your barber shave your head and you’re looking to do it yourself, you’ll be most familiar with the way this shaver works. It’s perfect for beginners and people who like to shave the old fashioned way.
- This is a corded clipper, so you won’t have to worry about the battery dying mid-use.
- This is styled more like a hair clipper than a face razor. If you prefer traditional clippers, you’ll find that this one is easier to use.
- It’s easy to do bald fades with this clipper. If you don’t go fully bald, this electric shaver offers you some options.
- You can’t use this electric head shaver without a cord. If you prefer cordless models, this one won’t work for you.
What Comes With It?: Two attachment combs, lubricating oil, a cleaning brush, and a blade guard.
This is the best clipper for people who want to do more than go full bald. If you prefer a fade or a short top, this electric head shaver will do it for you. It’s designed like a normal clipper, so if you prefer regular clipper style cutters, this one will be easy for you to use.
5. Remington HC4250 Shortcut Pro Self-Haircut Kit
This is where you get the most bang for your buck. Your whole family will be able to use this kit, whether or not they shave to bald. You’re getting not only the right tools for a smooth bald shave, but tools for every other kind of haircut. This is a great investment that covers everything you’d ever need to do with hair.
- This ergonomically designed electric head shaver fits comfortably in the hand. It’s easy to use on anyone – even yourself.
- The nine length combs give you options. If you want a long top, or even a mohawk, you can get it with the Remington Shortcut pro.
- The price is incredibly reasonable for what you’re getting – it’s less expensive than some electric head shavers that are used specifically for balding, and you can do more with what comes in the box.
- If all you need is balding clippers, you might not use the rest of the kit.
What Comes With It?: A carrying case, a removable charging cord, nine length combs, a cleaning brush, and lubricating oil.
This is the most versatile option, and the most value for money. You can do everything with this kit, so you aren’t stuck with a single use tool. If you have a family, this is the smartest buy. Everyone will be able to make use of it, and you won’t need to purchase separate tools.
Making Your Final Choice
What you choose should depend on personal preference and the way you prefer to shave your head. Every electric shaver is designed differently, and some of them have multiple purposes. Choose the one you think you’ll get the most use out of.